On Nov 8, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

I'm wondering which textbook discussed the various contrast matrices
mentioned in the help page of 'contr.helmert'. Could somebody let me
know?

My version of "Modern Applied Statistics in S" (aka MASS) deals with it in enough detail for a person with background to understand. At one point I asked Ripley whether later editions of MASS expanded the coverage of that topic but my memory is that he did not reply. Coming from a perspective that emphasized regression, I found it rather terse (2 pages), so there might be one of the more recently published texts that spends more time developing the concepts from basics.

"Statistical Models in S" also covers the topic (5 pages) in an early chapter, again at a level that assumes prior training in ANOVA models.

BTW, in R version 2.9.1, there is a typo on the help page of
'contr.helmert' ('cont.helmert' should be 'contr.helmert').