On Nov 8, 2009, at 11:08 AM, David Winsemius wrote:

On Nov 8, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Ashta wrote:

HI  R-Users

Assume that I have a data frame 'temp' with several variables (v1,v2,v3,v4,v5.).

v1 v2 v3  v4 v5
 1  2   3   3    6
 5  2  4    2    0
 2 -9   5   4    3
 6  2   1   3    4

1, I want to look at the entire row values of when v2 =-9
 like
       2 -9   5   4    3

I wrote
K<- list(if(temp$v2)==-9))

A further thought, that might be more useful if you were intending to supply a portion of a dataframe to an analytical function, would be the subset function:

t2 <- subset(temp, v2 != -9)

E. g.:

lm( v1 ~ v2 + v3, data= subset(temp, v2 != -9)

"if" would be the wrong R function to use. It's mostly for program control. And where did the "3" come from? You were working with the column temp$v2. Oh, you wanted a row rather than the column, "v2"? So how were you going to select that row? Perhaps:

K <-temp[ temp$v2 == -9, ]

I wrote the like this but  it gave me  which is not correct.
 False false false false false

I could not get your code to produce this. I got:
Error: unexpected '==' in "K<- list(if(temp$v2)=="

2. I want assign that values  as missing if   v2 = -9.  (ie., I want
exclude from the analysis

How do I do it  in R?

Your request is not well specified at least to my reading, because I could not tell if you wanted the re-assignment to occur in temp (and that was after I came down on the row side of the whether you wanted a row or column.) . The following assumes you wanted the row in question (created above) modified outside of "temp".

> is.na(K) <- K == -9
 v1 v2 v3 v4 v5
3  2 NA  5  4  3

If you had used ifelse you would have gotten close, but the data type would have been a list, which may not have been what you expected:

> K <- ifelse(K==-9, NA, K)
[[1]]
[1] 2

[[2]]