[Going through some old and from what I see unanswered messages

No, you cannot have a cycle in Imports / Depends / LinkingTo
otherwise you will run into an "the chicken or the egg" problem:
That declaration means that the other packages must be loadable on installation, for example.

You can try to declare "Depends" in one and to use "Suggests" in the one with less strong dependencies. If the dependency is too strong: Why not merge these essential parts of the functionality that depend on each other into one package?

Best wishes,
Uwe Ligges

Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
I get the error

Error : evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion /
options(expressions=)?

during a 'R CMD check ...'

on one of my packages. The reason seems to be that this package is
mutually dependent on another one (i.e. the DESCRIPTION files of package
A lists package B under "Depends" and vice versa). this might be bad
design (having bits in both packages needed by the other), but I believe
prior to R 2.9. this did not cause trouble. now the log file of the
'check' is something like

Installing *source* package 'roiutils' ...
** R
** exec
** preparing package for lazy loading
Error : evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion /
options(expressions=)?

i.e. it seems that R loads both packages again and again.

what am I missing/doing wrong?

thanks in advance

joerg

PS:

platform powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.1 arch powerpc os darwin8.11.1 system powerpc, darwin8.11.1 status major 2 minor 9.2 year 2009 month 08 day 24 svn rev 49384 language R version.string R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)