On Nov 16, 2009, at 12:58 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

On Nov 16, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Tim Smith wrote:

Hi,
I wanted to make a graph with the following table (2 rows, 3 columns):
a b c
x 1 3 5
y 5 8 6
The first column represents the start cordinate, and the second column contains the end cordinate for the x-axis. The third column contains the y-axis co-ordinate. For example, the first row in the matrix above represents the points (1,5),(2,5), (3,5). How would I go about making a discontinuous graph ?

thanks!

coords <- read.table(textConnection("a b c
x 1 3 5
y 5 8 6"), header=TRUE)

plot(NULL, NULL, xlim = c(min(coords$a)-.5, max(coords$b)+.5), ylim=c (min(coords$c)-.5, max(coords$c)+.5) ) apply(coords, 1, function(x) segments(x0=x[1],y0= x[3], x1= x[2], y1=x[3]) )

Oh, *that* kind of graph!

... my high-school English teacher once said that "all communication is miscommunication" because we each interpret things according to our own experiences, etc ... I guess that goes to show:

  (i) me that he was right (once again);
  (ii) you what I've been working on lately :-)

Sorry for the line-noise,

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou