On 19/11/2009 4:23 AM, Hun S. Tesatte wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:13:27 +0100 Duncan Murdoch <murd...@stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
hunsynte...@hush.com wrote:
Dear R-ers,

While browsing the R sources, I found the following piece of
code
in src\main\memory.c:

static void reset_pp_stack(void *data)
{
    R_size_t *poldpps = data;
    R_PPStackSize =  *poldpps;
}

To me, it looks like the poldpps pointer is a nuissance; can't
you
just cast the data pointer and derefer it at once? Say,

static void reset_pp_stack(void *data)
{
    R_PPStackSize = * (R_size_t *) data;
}
What would you gain by this change?

Duncan Murdoch

Seriously? What would you gain by rejecting the change?

I would save about an hour spent making the change, testing and committing it.

I think the gain is obvious, even if not essential: the code is cleaner. If there is a choice between two different pieces of code that have the same effect, choosing the simpler makes it easier to maintain the code, and easier for a casual user to understand what's going on. Anyone looking at the original code for the first time will have to realise that poldpps is a nuissance variable with no practical importance and no gain whatsoever, the change cuts this need.

But it makes the expression more complex, and doesn't give a hint about what's going on. The name poldpps adds a bit of explanation of what the assumption is about what's being passed in data.

There is also a negligible loss in performance when the inessential stack variable is allocated.

There is likely no variable allocated. Compilers are reasonably smart these days.

Duncan Murdoch

-- Hun