Dear All,
I appreciate any advice or hints you could provide about the following.

We are running R code in a server (running Windows XP and QuadCore Xeon
processors, see details below) and we would like to use the server
efficiently. Our code takes a bit more than 6 seconds per 25 iterations in
the server using a default R 2.10.0 installation.

We tested our code in two other computers, a Dell Latitute and a MacBook
Pro, and from the details that i include below you will notice that the code
needs almost twice the time when we used R for Windows compared against the
time the code needs when we use Linux or MacOSX 10.6.2 in each of these
computers.

I'm sorry I don't provide details on the code we are using. The code
consists of all sort of operations (matrix inverses, random number
generation, vectorized functions, a few loops, and so on). I hope I can get
some advice from you despite the lack of specific code details.

Is there any important R feature we should configure manually in the windows
server to speed the code up? Is there an optimized BLAS available somewhere
for this type of machine? Is these something else apart of an optimized BLAS
that we could do to improve the timing?

Best regards,

Carlos

**Server running WinXP (QuadCore Xeon 2.6GHz 8G Ram)
Time per 25 Iterations "6.17"

--------
**Dell Latitude running Linux (R 2.9.2, Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 @ 2.53GHz,
4GB ram)
Time per 25 iterations "2.88"

**Dell Latitude running Win Vista (R 2.10.0, Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 @
2.53GHz, 4GB ram) with New DLL in terminal
Time per 25 iterations "5.53"

-------
**Macbook pro (2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & 2GB ram)
Time per 25 Iterations "4.58"

**Macbook pro running WinXp (2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo & 2GB ram)
Time per 25 Iterations "8.23"

note: for the Dell and MacBook Pro we replaced the Rblas.dll file of R for
Windows with the file available here
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/ATLAS/C2D/