In a binomial regression analysis I have used the AIC value as a guide for which link function (logit or probit) provides the best fit to my data, but one of the reviewers have questioned this approach.

Is AIC values calculated with different link functions within the binomial function in GLM comparable or can AIC values only be used to compare models with the same link?

I believe my approach is valid if GLM can be expected to find the true global ML estimate but I do not know if any approximations in the GLM function change this.

Kind regards, Søren