Dear R users,

I’ve search the R site for help on this topic but it is hard to find a
precise answer for my questions.

Which are the best options to overcome the RAM memory limitation problems
when using R on “large” data sets (such as 2 or 3 million records)?

-          Is the free available version of R (as opposed to the one
provided by REvolution Computing) compatible with a windows 64-bit machine?
And if I increase the RAM memory enough on win-64, would this virtually
solve my memory limitation problems?

-          Is a Unix-like platform a better option than win-64? Again, would
this solve my memory limitation problems?

-          Any better option?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Lars.