Hi Everyone,

I have two very basic questions and would appreciate your help.
1. I would like to see/access the data that comes with a given R package by
using a function like read.table(). For example, I just installed car
package from CRAN. I know that somewhere within the package, there is
Duncan.txt file. I would not only like to look at it from file browser (or
using ls command in shell)  but also to access it as:

> Duncan <- read.table("path/to/data/Duncan.txt", header = T)

I can certainly use:

> data(Duncan)

and

> attach(Duncan)

after loading the package car. However, I would like to see all the data
that come with a package as separate files. Where are these files located? I
installed the car package under Mac OSX  under the user level (if this
detail is important). However, I do use R under Ubuntu linux also and
general solution to this problem will be great. I even downloaded the car
binaries and unpacked the zipped file on desktop but I just see .rda files
within the data folder; there are no .txt files anywhere.  I do see
Duncan.rda file (I believe this contains the Duncan.txt data). How can I
access the data files from such package, say using a text editor??

2. What is the safest/preferred place to install an R package that I want to
delete/remove once I do not need it. Sometimes, I just need to install a
package from a book's website so that I can work on the exercises etc but do
not need the package permanently hanging around. Removing such a package and
all the associated files etc would be nice.

I would appreciate any help and comments on my questions. Regards,

Tariq