I left off the statement to load the reshape package.  If you don't have it,
install it from CRAN:

x=c(1,2,3,1)
y=c(1,2,3,1)
ss=c(55,NA,55,88)
ss_byxy_test=tapply(  ss, list( x, y), mean, na.rm=TRUE)
ss_byxy_test
# use the 'reshape' package
library(reshape)
# now 'melt' the data to get it into a format for plotting
(ss_melt <- melt(ss_byxy_test))
# create the plot area so you can add the 'ss' as text
plot(0, type='n', xlim=range(ss_melt$X1), ylim=range(ss_melt$X2),
    xlab="X", ylab="Y")
text(ss_melt$X1, ss_melt$X2, ss_melt$value, font=2, col='red')

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM, dwwc <d...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> i have three data, x coordinate, y coordinate and  signal strength
>
> i use tapply() function to get the average ss in the give x,y location
>  x=c(1,2,3,1)
>  y=c(1,2,3,1)
>  ss=c(55,NA,55,88)
>  ss_byxy_test=tapply(  ss, list( x, y), mean)
> and I get this table
>     1  2  3
> 1 71.5 NA NA
> 2   NA NA NA
> 3   NA NA 55
> but i don't know how to plot different the ss with the xy location,
> can anyone help me

Jim Holtman
Cincinnati, OH
+1 513 646 9390