On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:04 PM, Ramya wrote:

Hi  there

I have a string like this i want to extract 9831019 from this string i used a regular expresion \d+ by which i can only make it to see 7 and returns.
This type of number(9831019)  appears in any part of the string and is
definitely more than 5 digits all the time and i want to give that as a
condition

UV7C11-F9-E1 MCS#9831019
MCS Lot #9512516"

how do i go abt it

Ramya

Is the double quote actually part of your data or just a typo?

I am not sure that it might matter in the end, but here is one approach:

[1] "UV7C11-F9-E1 MCS#9831019" "MCS Lot #9512516\""

Note that I have the double quote included in the second value, which is escaped when printed here.

[1] "9831019" "9512516"

This uses gsub() to extract the value within the parens in the regex using a back reference.

Any characters from the beginning of the line to the '#' are dropped, as are any characters after the numeric sequence to the end of the line.

See ?gsub for more information.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz