I can think of many brute-force ways to do this outside of R, but was
wondering if there was a simple/elegant solution within R instead.

I have a table that looks something like the following:

Factor1 Factor2         Value
A       11/11/2009      5
A       11/12/2009      4
B       11/11/2009      7
B       11/13/2009      8

>From that I need to generate all permutations of Factor1 and Factor2 and
force a 0 for any combination that doesn’t exist in the actual data table.
By way of example, I’d like the output for above to end up as:

 Factor1        Factor2         Value
A       11/11/2009      5
A       11/12/2009      4
A       11/13/2009      0