On 13/12/2009 5:31 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
Dear all
How should I attempt debugging this error?
sosInit()
Error: invalid connection

When this happens R refuses to run anything:
2+2
Error: invalid connection
sessionInfo ()
Error in stdout() : invalid connection

Debugging it seems impossible.
options(error=recover)
sosInit()
Error: invalid connection
Error during wrapup: invalid connection

The error also "crashes" browser().
Browse[1]> n
debug at
/home/liviu/Devel/Rcmdr-dev/Rcmdr.sos/RcmdrPlugin.sos-0.1-0/R/sosInit.R#51:
doItAndPrint(paste("## Launching RSiteSearch, please be patient.."))
Browse[2]>
Error in function ()  : invalid connection
Error: invalid connection

To reproduce the example, you would need to source the following file [1]. Then
require(Rcmdr)
require(sos)
sosInit()

and in the box enter a string similar to "asdf ; HTMLgrid". If you
enter simple strings such as "asdf", the function will perform as
expected and R will not become non-responsive.
[1] http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=15379960405416742593

Please let me know of any ideas that would help tackle this one. Thank you

I think you need to go back to old-fashioned debugging methods. Identify the line the triggers the error, by using debug() and single stepping through sosInit(), or by adding print() or cat() statements to it (or setting tracepoints with trace()), and seeing how many succeed before things go bad.

Once you see the bad line, it may be obvious what's wrong with it, or you may need to ask for help, by putting together a minimal example that triggers it.

Duncan Murdoch