On Dec 13, 2009, at 6:06 PM, philip robinson wrote:

Sorry to have not provided enough information in my prior post. Here is a summary of the calculation set that I am doing. The histograms have changed since my last post, but I am not so concerned about them. The scatter plots do not show all of the points, they seem to round off to the most common.

You seem to think that qqplots should be giving you scatterplots. That is not the case. The qqplot function gives you quantile-quantile plots and you have given it arguments that implied that temp$R2SC was a theoretical distribution to which you wanted to compare the distribution of temp$words

If you want scatterplots, then this would be the way forward:

plot(x=temp$words, y=temp$R2SC, ylab="With Rules applied SC", xlab="Number of Words",col="blue",main="Subordinating Conjunctions\n(Number of Words)")

Or perhaps with some jitter and smaller points to separate identical values:

plot(x=temp$words,y=jitter(temp$R2SC, factor=2.3), cex=0.1, ylab="With Rules applied SC",xlab="Number of Words",col="blue",main="Subordinating Conjunctions\n(Number of Words)")

And given the failure of even that plot to separate the points in that 2.9 MB file, then perhaps look at density plot strategies.

--
David.

have tried doctoring the http://n4.nabble.com/file/n963172/ESTATS ESTATS
file to get a different result, but received no change.

removeOutliers<-function(dataset){
        return(
                dataset[
max(sort(dataset$words)[1:(length(dataset$words)/100)])<dataset $words &

dataset$words<(min(sort(dataset$words)[(99*length(dataset$words)/ 100):length(dataset$words)])+1),,
                        ]
                )
        };

edat.src<-read.csv("ESTATS",head=TRUE,sep="\t");

edat<-removeOutliers(edat.src);

# Only address the subset where there exists appropriate conjunctions within
the sentence
temp<-edat[edat$R2SC>0,,]

png("egraph_rules_list_2.png",width=800,height=700,res=72);
par(mfrow=c(2,2));

# graph that i am having trouble with, it does not seem to reflect the data
#       The scatter plots are not recognizing all of the data
qqplot(x=temp$words,y=temp$R2SC,ylab="With Rules applied SC",xlab="Number of Words",col="blue",main="Subordinating Conjunctions\n(Number of Words)");
hist(temp$words,col=heat.colors(max(temp$words)),main="Subortinating
Conjunctions \n-- Number of Words");
temp<-edat[edat$R2CC>0,,]
qqplot(x=temp$words,y=temp$R2CC,ylab="With Rules applied CC",xlab="Number of Words",col="purple",main="Coordinating Conjunctions\n(Number of Words)");
hist(temp$words,col=heat.colors(max(temp$words)),main="Coordinating
Conjunctions \n-- Number of Words");
dev.off();

David Winsemius wrote:

You provide no data. This is a guess, therefore. You have used a hist
call that has a ratio as the argument and were expecting it to be
interpreted as a formula.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT