On Dec 23, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Jon Prince wrote:

David and Peter,

Thanks so much for all of your help, I think I understand R much better as a result. Omitting the Error() term in my aov does indeed allow me to get SE means, so I guess that was the issue. I suppose I can go back and calculate the SE values for each p*t entry (averaged across subject) from Matlab.

By the way, the reason I separated the p and t objects derived from rate_data in my initial example was for readability.

No need; see below.

If I do it as below then I get the same result.

In any case, again many thanks for your help. Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Jon

rate_data=read.table("/Users/jonprince/Desktop/attend_pitch_3p3t.txt")
 rate_data$p=factor(rate_data$V3)
 rate_data$t=factor(rate_data$V2)
 rate_data$subj=factor(rate_data$V1)
 rate_data$rate=rate_data$V4
fm=aov(rate_data$rate ~ rate_data$p*rate_data$t + Error(rate_data $subj/(rate_data$p*rate_data$t)),rate_data)

Try instead:
rm(p); rm(rate); rm(t); rm(subject)
# my memory of what your free-standing variables were named

fm=aov( rate ~ p*t + Error( subj/(p*t) ), data= rate_data)

R regression functions generally let you specify the column names as long as you supply the data.frame to a "data=" argument.

Peter Alspach wrote:

Tena korua David and Jon

Without an Error() in the model, you get standard errors for the effects
and standard errors of the difference for the means.  With fully
balanced data, as in the example, these are directly comparable (compare
model.tables(npk.aov, se=T)*sqrt(2) with model.tables(npk.aov,
type='means', se=T)$se). For data with uneven replication this will not
be the case.

The standard errors of the differences for the means is not yet
implemented for aovlist (which is returned with an Error() in the model as in npk.aovE). I imagine this is because of the issues that arise in
comparing means from different strata.

HTH .....

Peter Alspach