Begging the list's indulgence, an extremely dumb beginner's question.  I've got
24 months' worth of numbers - ranging from 2 events per month, to 66 events per
month.  I want to take a stab at making a reasonable guess as to what the next
year's data would be, approximately, i.e., based on the 24 months I've got, I
want to be able to tell someone: "the 12 months after this will probably
average about $number of events per month."  Assuming I'm able to navigate R
with a minimum degree of proficiency, where would I start with this?  As you
can doubtless tell, I'm not looking for anything sophisticated - just a
reasonable estimate.  Am I going to be able to do better than a projected
per-month guess based on $total/$number_of_months?

Thanks very much -