On Jan 18, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Dimitri Shvorob wrote:

Let's revisit my fist post

How can I get a normal-font-sized 'Hello world' displayed on a page, with a plot underneath, instead of a giant 'Hello world' on one page, and a plot on
another?

I suggested that you look at the wiki and you said it had nothing of interest. It does, in fact, offer worked examples for various packages dealing with image formats, and here is one I modified after installing the ReadImages package:

> library(ReadImages)
> pdf()
> jpeg <- read.jpeg(file.choose()) # I picked the R logo in the library subdirectory for that package
> plot(jpeg)
> mtext("Hello, World")
> dev.off()

It did what you specified. I think you need to be a bit more diligent when you are given good advice.

--
David.

Then

The goal is to produce a proper-looking PDF *document* with text and images
- similar to what I could do in HTML with hwriter package.

Document as opposed to annotated plot.

There is the difficulty of defining, specifically, a 'proper document', and not everyone is familiar with hwriter. How about this: I want an interface
in which commands like

page = pdf(..)
print(page, "some text")
printImage(page, "someimage.jpg")
close(page)

would produce a one-page PDF document with a line of text and a picture.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT