Hi,

I have a script I can run step by step through the R interpreter and it works
fine. I then run as a shell script with Rscript and it fails.

The error message comes when I am creating a model matrix with
model.matrix.default().

Error in `contrasts<-`(`*tmp*`, value = "contr.Treatment") :
  could not find function "is"
Calls: model.matrix.default -> contrasts<-

I included the following command at the beginning of my Rscript :

cat("Looking for environment(is): ", environment(is), "\n")

and I received the same error message:

Error in environment(is) : object 'is' not found
Calls: cat -> environment

At the command line (through the R interpreter) the same command returns:
> environment(is)
<environment: namespace:methods>

Rscript is not loading the methods package and I don't know how to fix this.

Why would this be happening and how can I prevent it in the future?

I am running the following R session at the command line:
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_CA.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_CA.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_CA.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

Here is what I get when I run sessionInfo() from Rscript

R version 2.10.1 (2009-12-14)
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_CA.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_CA.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=C              LC_MESSAGES=en_CA.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_CA.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_CA.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  base

The version of Rscript I am running is:
$ Rscript --version
R scripting front-end version 49838

Thank you for your help