On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Mark Heckmann wrote:

To the R color experts:
I need to detect if a chosen background color (as hex e.g. #910322) is
light or dark.
If it is dark I need to ovelay it with light text and vice versa.

You can use the "colorspace" package for that. hex2RGB() converts a hex string to "RGB" coordinates which in turn can be easily converted to systems like "HSV" or (preferably) HCL (called "polarLUV" in colorspace).

R> as(hex2RGB("#910322"), "polarLUV")
            L        C        H
[1,] 31.61831 95.14145 6.913428

"L" corresponds to the luminance (whether a color is light or dark), "C" is chroma (how colorful the color is compared to a gray with the same luminance), and "H" is the hue.

hth,

Thus I would like to implement the following pseudo code:

if (brightness(color) > somevalue) textcolor= dark else textcolor=red

I am not too familiar with color systems. My idea was to convert the
hex value to hsv / hsl space and extract the v or l value.
1) I am not sure if this is the way to go.
2) I do not succeed in it. convertColor {grDevices} or make.rgb
{grDevices} did not help me with that. How can I convert hex to hsv/
hsl space

How would you detect the (perceived) color brightness?

Thanks
Mark

Mark Heckmann
Dipl. Wirt.-Ing. cand. Psych.