I have been able to implement the Mahalanobis distance function, and I have
also been able to generate code that computes the mahalanobis distance
calculations.  Both have resulted in the same results, though these results
differ from the true results.

I believe my problem is in the formulation of 'S' (see below), but I am not
sure as to how to correct it.

Would anybody who has successfully implemented the mahalanobis() please
provide some guidance on what I am doing wrong???????

#Both of the following two methods for computing this distance give the same
result

#To calculate Mahalanobis distance for populations 1 and 2
m.x1<-mean(subset(my.data, pop==1))
m.x2<-mean(subset(my.data, pop==2))
s1<-cov(subset(my.data, pop==1))
s2<-cov(subset(my.data, pop==2))
#I believe I am doing something wrong with the calculation of 'S'
S<-((((n.rows[1]-1)*s1) + ((n.rows[2]-1)*s2)) / ((n.rows[1]+n.rows[2])-1))
Si<-ginv(S)
d2<-t(m.x1-m.x2)  %*%  Si  %*%  (m.x1-m.x2)
d2

#or using the mahalanobis() function
mahalanobis(m.x1,m.x2,S)