On Feb 4, 2010, at 5:31 PM, Alex Bryant wrote:

Hi, I have a need to process (in real-time) a large number of .sas7bdat files from within R. The problem is I don't want to convert these files to .xpt (transport) every time. So just checking if anyone has a (viable) way to read .sas7bdat files directly into R?

I believe (on the basis of what is written on the NCHS/NHANESwebsite) that if you are a Windows user, which I am only under duress, you can get at such data with a free product that SAS makes available:

http://www.sas.com/apps/demosdownloads/sassysview_PROD_8.2_sysdep.jsp?packageID=000176

Whether that product can be called as a system() executable with arguments, I have no idea.

--
David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories