Try
shell('\"file.xls\"')

where 'file.xls' is the excel filename.

The escaped quotes (\") are not strictly necessary if the filename contains no
spaces, but they are essential if it does.

>>> Sergey Goriatchev <serg...@gmail.com> 08/02/2010 12:48:20 >>>
Hello, everyone

I wonder if it is possible to PHYSICALLY open an Excel file from R.
The reason I ask is, I produce regularly an Excel file in R, and then
I want to make it look good, so I have a VBA routine in another Excel
file that works on the regular Excel file.
This formatting file executes VBA code on open, so all I need to do is
physically open it (no reading/writing at all). I wonder if that can
be done from R, so that I do as little as possible manually.

Thanks in advance for help!
Regards,
Sergey
--
Simplicity is the last step of art./Bruce Lee

Kniven skärpes bara mot stenen.