On 17.02.2010 08:22, Jessica Joganic wrote:
Thank you all for your help thus far. I have taken care of the destdir
issue (you do need to specify a destdir, something I never had to do
with OS X 10.4). However, a delightful new message has popped up. Has
anyone seen this one before? I've tried both an R CMD INSTALL command
from the shell and the download.packages() command within the R
environment but neither works. In the terminal I get this error:

$ R CMD INSTALL genetics_1.3.4.tgz
Warning: invalid package ‘genetics_1.3.4.tgz’

Well, R CMD INSTALL expects a source package, you have .

while in R I get this error:

download.packages(genetics,destdir=.libPaths())
Error in unique(pkgs) : object 'genetics' not found

And here you are in the R interpreter which looks for an object called "genetics" that does not exist in your workspace. You need to quote the name.

Uwe Ligges

The errors are not worded the same but they appear to be suggesting
the same issue. I've tried the names of 6 or so different packages
just to see what would happen but it's always the same message. And,
in answer to Ista, I am using download.packages() instead of
install.packages() because they are both giving me the same error
message but at least download.packages() gives me some response by
it's working.

Thank you all!
Jessica