Everyone:

If you work in Higher Education, in either an office of Institutional
Research or an office Institutional Effectiveness, I'm keen to hear from you
on how you use R, individually or with colleagues.

Why do you use R?  Is the cost savings an issue?  Do you also maintain a
license to more established packages (e.g., SPSS, SAS, or Minitab)?

Are you encouraged (allowed?) to use R instead of other software?

How do you use R?  Do you use R for specific analyses only, or do you also
use R for general work in your office?

Do your colleagues use R?  Can you share syntax and ideas with them, or are
they hesitant to move away from the more established packages?

If there is sufficient response to how R is used in Institutional Research -
Institutional Effectiveness I'll be sure to post a summary to the list.

For context, pasted below are the URLs to a few Tegrity-based videos on how
I've tried to encourage colleagues in our area to consider R.  If you are
new to the use of Tegrity, click the maximize button about one-quarter down
on the right side of the screen to make the screen show full size.  Toggle
back to the smaller default screen size by keying the Escape key.

Are You Ready for R?  Open Source Software for Institutional Research

http://tegr.it/y/aq8

Import a .csv Spreadsheet-Type Data File into R

http://tegr.it/y/azi

Organize the Data

http://tegr.it/y/azg

Conduct a Visual Data Check

http://tegr.it/y/aze

Supplemental R Packages

http://tegr.it/y/azc

Summary Descriptive Statistics

http://tegr.it/y/aza

Breakout Descriptive Statistics

http://tegr.it/y/az8

Use R for Student's t-Test

http://tegr.it/y/az4

Thank you for all who respond to the request for information.

Tom

-----

Thomas W. MacFarland, Ed.D.
Senior Research Associate; Institutional Effectiveness and Associate
Professor
Nova Southeastern University
Voice 954-262-5395  Fax 954-262-3970  tom...@nsu.nova.edu