Jim Lemon wrote:

Hi Peter,
The two par arguments "fin" and "pin" allow a solution. What you want is for the second values in "pin" (Plot dimensions in INches) to be the same for all your plots. You can get an approximation by using the layout function instead of mfrow and setting the height vector to correct for the space used in the top and bottom plots. If you are not doing lots of these plots or you are doing only a few variations, you can just print out par("pin") after each plot and see how much they differ and adjust the height vector until all "pin"s are the same. Try setting the height vector in layout to the "fin"s (Figure dimensions in INches) that are printed out using the default of all heights equal.

Thanks, Jim. I'll try and see which solution works best for me. I often
use layout() for more complicated and print-quality plots, where "fin"
and "pin" will come in handy.

It's just amazing how much I still don't know after one year of daily
R-programming...