Dear R users,

I know this issue came up in the list several times.  I’m currently running
R on 32-bit on Windows and due to memory limitation problems would like to
move to a 64-bit environment.  I’m exploring my options and would appreciate
your expertise:

1)      Windows 64-bit: Prof. Brian Ripley recently posted the experimental
built of R for win 64-bit. I’ll appreciate any feedback on anyone who has
been testing this. He also mentioned that for now, “...this as only being of
interest for those who only use a few relatively simple packages”.  But if
one uses packages beyond those “relatively simple”, how possible is today to
have those installed?

2)      MacOS or Unix.  Sorry for my ignorance on this…but if I use any of
these environments on 64-bit and  installed R on any of those, this is all I
need to have R working on 64-bit. How about installing specialized packages?
Are the packages on the CRAN repositories “ready tho use” on these systems
or do I have to do any additional work to get them going?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Axel.