Dear Patrick (and all)

I'm now working with R a couple of years, before working mostly in Matlab
Lazy & impatient is both true for me :-)

* What were your biggest misconceptions or
stumbling blocks to getting up and running
with R?

> * What documents helped you the most in this
> initial phase?
>
> I especially want to hear from people who are
> lazy and impatient.
>
> Feel free to write to me off-list.  Definitely
> write off-list if you are just confirming what
> has been said on-list.

Stumbling:

* It took me long to remember
getwd () and setwd () (instead of pwd and cd / chdir or the like)

* I still discover very useful functions that I would have needed for a long time. Latest discoveries: mapply and ave I knew aggregate. And was always a little angry that it needs a grouping list. I even decided that the aggregate method for my hyperSpec class should work with factors as well as with lists. Some day I read in this mailing list that ave does what I need... I like the crosslinks in the help (see also) very much. Maybe I rely too much on them. So: not lazy today, I attach a patch for aggregate.Rd that adds the seealso to ave.

Reading this mailing list once in a while gives me nice new ideas. However, > 50 emails / d is somewhat scary for me, so I read only occasionally.

* Vecorization: I like the *apply functions.
but I'd really appreciate a comprehensive page/vignette here.
I remember that it took me a while to realize that the rule for MARGIN in sweep is "use the same number as in the apply that created the STATS"

* I never found the pdf manuals helpful (help pages are easier to access, and there is nothing in the pdf that the help doesn't have.
At the beginning I expected the pdf manual to be something that the vignettes
are.

* I did not arrive at a comfortable debugging cycle for a long time. But now there's the debug package and setBreakpoint and I'm happy....

* As I now start teaching I notice that many students react to error messages "uhh! an error!" (panic). Few realizing that the error message actually gives information on what went wrong. A list with common causes of different error messages would be helpful here, I think. In case someone agrees: I started one at the Wiki: http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=tips:errormessages

Cheers,

Claudia