On Feb 27, 2010, at 12:47 PM, J. Daniel wrote:

Greetings,

I am acquiring a new computer in order to conduct data analysis.  I
currently have a 32-bit Vista OS with 3G of RAM and I consistently run into memory allocation problems. I will likely be required to run Windows 7 on the new system, but have flexibility as far as hardware goes. Can people recommend the best hardware to minimize memory allocation problems? I am leaning towards dual core on a 64-bit system with 8G of RAM. Given the
Windows constraint, is there anything I am missing here?

Perhaps the fact that the stable CRAN version of R for (any) Windows is 32-bit? It would expand your memory space somewhat but not as much as you might naively expect.

(There was a recent announcement that an experimental version of a 64- bit R was available (even with an installer) and there are vendors who will supply a 64-bit Windows version for an un-announced price. The fact that there was not as of January support for binary packages seems to a bit of a constraint on who would be able to "step up" to use full 64 bit R capabilities on Win64. I'm guessing from the your failure to mention potential software constraints that you are not among that more capable group, as I am also not.)

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2010-January/056301.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2010-January/056411.html

I know that Windows limits the RAM that a single application can access. Does this fact over-ride many hardware considerations? Any way around this?

Thanks,

JD

--

David Winsemius, MD