To me, as a biologist recycled to biostats, I have always worked with Excel and
then SPSS and moving to R was difficult (and still is, since I am still
learning).

Being a self-taught person, I learn R looking for examples in Google, which
many times takes me to Rwiki or other. I sometimes post questions and most of
the answers were helpful, but I have found that sometimes the answers have been
too short or didn´t give enough hints as to how to follow, and that has stopped
me from asking again in order not to annoy experts. I have not answered too
many questions from newbies but I have tried to explain as much as I could.
Sometimes I find it better not to answer rather than just answering a short
vague answer. Please, examples, examples, examples!

I found most difficult the different data types, since I understand excel as a
data frame with columns and rows, and that´s it. Then as someone has already
commented, the class, mode and str functions helped a lot. But I think that to
me, examples are the way to let people learn.
>From that, I moved to use loops, and am still nervous when people suggest
>ussing *apply functions, I can´t get down to use them!. I find loops more
>logical, and can´t see the way of moving them to *apply.

Finally, I am not a Linux expert , and I cannot get round to install and
organise a proper R directory and keep updated. I have once tried to use a
package that needed the development R version and was only prepared for Linux
R, but couldn´t keep the R-devel versions updated. Some more step-by-step would
help sometimes.

Thanks for a great tool!