Thank you so much for your reply.

I can identify the characters very easily in a couple of files. The reason I
am worried is that I have thousands of files to read in. The files were
produced in a very old MS-DOS software that records information on
oceanographic data and geographic position during a survey.

My main goal is read all these files into R for further analysis. Most of
the files are cleared of these EOL markers but some are not. I only noticed
the problem by chance when I was looking and comparing one of them. I wonder
if I can solve this problem using R, without having to go for text editors
separately.

Help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks again