Hi,

I am a student studying Biostatistics at University. We have been advised to
install R and R commander. I managed to do this successfully, except I wasn't
able to complete the final step - which would enable both R and R commander to
launch when I open the R icon on my desktop.

However, I haven't been able to save it and for this to work.

The last instructions we were given are:

3. If you wish to load the R Commander automatically when R starts, first find
R's etc directory. In my computer, it is: C:\Program Files\R\RTopic
1: The Role of Statistics in Health: Populations and Samples
PUBH7630 Course Notes 1-23
2.10.1\etc . Right click on the file Rprofile.site and select 'Open
With'. Open the file with the 'notepad' program.
4. Go to the bottom of the brief file and copy/paste the following at the end:
local({old <- getOption("defaultPackages")
options(defaultPackages = c(old, "Rcmdr"))})
(Don't include any # symbols like the already-existing text has.)
5. Save the file and then close it.
6. Next time you open R, R Commander will also pop open. How about checking
now?
7. You can check if this has worked by first closing down R. To exit R simply
use the
File => Exit menus or type q() at the R command line prompt. If you want
to close both R and R Commander at the same time, use the File => Exit
menus in R Commander and click Exit => from Commander and R.)
8. Then reopen it (click the R icon or on your desktop or run R from the
Programs
menu and then reopening it). R and R Commander will sit as two separate
windows on your computer.
NOTE: If you have not set R to have 'SDI' then the R Commander Messages box will
give you a warning that R Commander works best with SDI. It may not run things
the way
it should, so please follow the instructions to set R with SDI. Ensure that you
have done
the steps for all shortcuts to the R program (desktop icon, quick launch icon,
start menu,
etc).

However, it is not saving it after I add the below info after the RProfile.site
in notepad
local({old <- getOption("defaultPackages")
options(defaultPackages = c(old, "Rcmdr"))})

It comes up with a message it cannot create or save the file.

I would appreciate any assistance as soon as possible (so I don't get too far
behind in my studies).

Many Thanks,

John