On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Jonathan Baron wrote:

Just to make this thoroughly confusing, I will say that I am very happy with Fedora

Just to make this less confusing: choose Ubuntu. I say this because it is easy to use, has great repositories and it is the most popular Linux distro, so it should be easy to get help with it. I have been running it on a number of machines doing a few different kinds of tasks and it has almost always been very easy to install. I'm also happily running the Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a little Asus EeePC netbook. To install R, just use the Synaptic program:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

It couldn't be easier.

I don't work for Ubuntu and I don't have any friends or relatives working there either.

Mike