It depends on what you want them for.  With win.metafile, what is the
problem with multiple files?  You can still include them in
powerpoint/word.  If you want it in one file, then use PDF and you can
cut/paste the graph from the pages that you want.  I typically create a PDF
file if I have a number of graphs and then use the 'snapshot' under Adobe
Reader to capture the output for my document.  It usually has enough
resolution.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Kim Jung Hwa <kimhwamaill...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Jim, thank you for your reply.
>
> Apart from win.metafile(), is there some other function available which can
> handle multiple prints or par(mfrow=c(2,2)) command and eventually can be
> used in powerpoint/word. thanks,
>
> Kim
>
>   On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:42 PM, jim holtman <jholt...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> ?win.metafile
>>

>> For win.metafile only one plot is allowed per file, and Windows seems to
>> disallow reusing the file. So the *only* way to allow multiple plots is
>> to use a parametrized filename as in the example.
>> win.metafile("Rplot%02d.wmf", pointsize = 10)
>> Notice the %02d in the file name.
>>
>>   On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Kim Jung Hwa <
>> kimhwamaill...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi All,
>>>
>>> I need a file which I can import to MS Word, I'm trying win.metafile(),
>>> but
>>> it does not seem to support multiple print commands at once (please see
>>> below). Is there an alternative to get plots file which can be used in
>>> powerpoint/word?
>>>
>>> # R code:
>>> # this does not work; but same thing works with pdf()
>>> library(lattice)
>>> win.metafile("test.wmf")
>>> p1 <- xyplot(decrease ~ treatment, OrchardSprays, groups = rowpos,
>>>       type = "a",
>>>       auto.key =
>>>       list(space = "right", points = FALSE, lines = TRUE))
>>>
>>> p2 <- xyplot(sunspot.year ~ 1700:1988, xlab = "", type = "l",
>>>               scales = list(x = list(alternating = 2)),
>>>               main = "Yearly Sunspots")
>>>
>>> print(p1, split=c(1,1,2,1), more=TRUE)
>>> print(p2, split=c(2,1,2,1))

--