On 28/03/2010 9:03 AM, David Winsemius wrote:
On Mar 28, 2010, at 4:35 AM, ManInMoon wrote:

Is there a 64 bit R - and where can I get hold of it for Windows please?

For Windows XP?, Not that I know of. There are proprietary versions for Vista and I believe Professor Ripley is working on an experimental version for the 64 bit versions of Windows.

We're planning to release 64 bit builds with R 2.11.0. They are currently being built as part of the test process, though the builds are still a little irregular. You can download from <CRAN mirror>/bin/windows64/contrib for now, and soon from <CRAN mirror>/bin/windows64/base.

The 64 bit versions of R will require a 64 bit version of Windows to run on. I think there may be 64 bit versions of XP, but they are uncommon and I don't know if they support our builds; we're testing in 64 bit Vista and Windows 7.

Revolution Computing also sells a build produced with a different compiler. It has the advantage that the compiler is probably in better shape than the one we are using and they'll provide support with it; the disadvantage is that they'll charge for it, and they are probably not as up to date as us with respect to released version number.

Duncan Murdoch

Your sizes function is useful thanks - but is there some R parameter to
allow maximum usage of memory?

Read the Windows FAQ and seearch on "memory".