Hi Paul, Jim, Dennis, and others,

I got RODBC and SQL Server to create a date variable in R (see below). I'm
pretty sure the commands I was issuing before were working but that I was
stripping off the date class every time I submitted the command "fix(mydata)."
So I kept getting the mistaken impression that what I was doing wasn't working.

One thing I've noticed is that the class for my date is of the type POSIX.
When I issue the command "head(mydata$ae_datestarted)", I get "CDT" tacked onto
my date. I'll spend some additional time investigating this, but if an answer
about how to get a class of date using my SQL command seems obvious to someone
please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

> mydata <- sqlQuery(channel,
+ "select subject_number,
+ ae,
+ ae_ctcgrade,
+ ae_relationship,
+  ae_serious,
+ cast(ae_datestarted as datetime) as ae_datestarted,
+ ae_dateended,
+ ae_ongoing
+  from adverse_events_detail")

> class(mydata$ae_datestarted)
[1] "POSIXt"  "POSIXct"
> mode(mydata$ae_datestarted)
[1] "numeric"

> head(mydata$ae_datestarted)
[1] "2008-10-23 CDT" "2008-10-21 CDT" "2008-10-24 CDT" "2008-10-25 CDT"
[5] "2008-10-23 CDT" "2008-10-31 CDT"