Michael Dykes wrote:
So, am i wrong to /assume /that the reasons my professor is asking us to find a high R^2 & adjusted R^2, low Cp (near what p+1, if i remember correctly), low PRESS, & AIC is b/c the data is randomly generated (b/c he has stated that all of the data for *all *of these hw assignments are randomly generated)? And i am not /exactly /sure to what you are referring when you say: 'low signal to noise ratios'. Do you mean /low /R^2 to epsilon_i's? or /low /predictors to epsilon i's? Please excuse my ignorance in these matters, but I am not only asking these questions for hw sakes's but for my future, as I hope to study for the actuarial exams & take the Probability Test sometime either next Spring or Summer [after taking this professors Calculus-based Prob & Stat sequence in the coming Fall & Spring Semester].

Thanks again for your help, Professor.

Let me just add that a valid test of whether any of the variables or interactions is associated with Y is to formulate a model with all the parameters in it and to use the global F test.

Stepwise techniques such as you are being asked to use are not scientific. If the true R^2 (which you do not know) is not high, the low signal:noise ratio makes the data incapable to telling you the "right" variables to include with any reliability. Unfortunately, most teachers of statistics do not understand this point, so you might be graded off for providing the right answer.

Frank