On Apr 15, 2010, at 5:12 PM, Paul Miller wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Learning about R and its wonderful array of functions. If it's not obvious, I usually try to find out what a function stands for. I think this helps me remember better.

One function that has me stumped is "sink." Can anyone tell me if this stands for something?

In the kitchen, a sink is the place you put the dishes in. In electronics, a sink is where the electrons go after they have made their way through the circuitry ... also known as a "ground", whereas "sources" are the current inputs. There were a lot of EE types among the original cadre of computer scientitsts. In the NIXen class of OSes, there is a "pipe" operation, and I believe that the destination file or device is probably called a "sink" by some. This leads me to think that a hybrid argot of plumbing and circuitry analogies is the likely origin of the term.

Thanks,

Paul

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT