I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but I think the solution
to your problem is the reshape function in the reshape package.  Here is a
silly example of how it would work:

> V<-matrix(rbinom(15,4,.5),nrow=3)
> X<-data.frame(A=c("A","B","C"),V=V)
  A V.1 V.2 V.3 V.4 V.5
1 A   1   2   3   3   3
2 B   4   3   0   2   2
3 C   2   3   2   1   2
> reshape(X,direction="long",varying=c("V.1","V.2","V.3","V.4","V.5"))
    A time V id
1.1 A    1 1  1
2.1 B    1 4  2
3.1 C    1 2  3
1.2 A    2 2  1
2.2 B    2 3  2
3.2 C    2 3  3
1.3 A    3 3  1
2.3 B    3 0  2
3.3 C    3 2  3
1.4 A    4 3  1
2.4 B    4 2  2
3.4 C    4 1  3
1.5 A    5 3  1
2.5 B    5 2  2
3.5 C    5 2  3

Your two columns of interest are A and V.  The time column lets you know
from which column the V came.

-tgs