Ya I got that result but fixing it was a mystery. especially since I will
eventually want to subtract the row max from the row Min ( or calculate the
range)
if a matrix thus is:

   [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]   NA   NA   NA
[2,]    2    5    8
[3,]   NA    6    9

and apply(m,1,max,na.rm=TRUE)

yeilds

[1] -Inf    8    9

Then  rowmin yeilds

[1] -Inf    2    6

need to see what happens if I subtract these two vectors.

     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]   NA   NA   NA
[2,]    2    5    8
[3,]   NA    6    9
> rmax<-apply(m,1,max,na.rm=TRUE)
Warning message:
In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf
> rmax
[1] -Inf    8    9
> rmin<-apply(m,1,min,na.rm=TRUE)
Warning message:
In FUN(newX[, i], ...) : no non-missing arguments to min; returning Inf
> rmin
[1] Inf   2   6
> rmax-rmin
[1] -Inf    6    3
> rrange<-rmax-rmin
> rrange
[1] -Inf    6    3

The final maxtrix may have a large number of these -Inf..

I Was looking at maxtrixStats  package but it still beta

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net>wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2010, at 12:16 AM, steven mosher wrote:
>
>  Is there a simple way to calculate the maximum for a row or column of a
>> matrix when there are NA,s present.
>>
>> # given a matrix that has any number of NA per row
>>
>>> m<-matrix(c(seq(1,9)),nrow=3)

>> [1,]    1    4    7
>> [2,]    2    5    8
>> [3,]    3    6    9