Nevermind, I figured out my problem after looking at the packS4 package.

I didn't realize that package.skeleton would build invalid R code. The
warning hints at that, but I interpreted the warning to mean that the
package.skeleton-generated code should be *edited*, and none of my edits
gave me a workable package. Now I realize that the S4-driven code from
package.skeleton can simply be *replaced by the original code*, which is
what packS4 does.

-D

>I am a newbie package builder who successfully built a "Hello world"
package
>but am now having trouble building a package with S4 functionality. I
>thought I would start by building a package consisting of just the first
>example under the setGeneric help page in a "fresh" 2.10.0 (windows)
console