If I understand what you're looking for, I think this
may work:

seq=c(2,3,4)
v=c(4,2,5,8,9,2,3,5,6,1,7,2,3,4,5)
lseq = length(seq)
lv = length(v)
matches = sapply(1:(lv-lseq+1),function(i)all(v[i:(i+lseq-1)] == seq))
sum(matches)
[1] 1

                                        - Phil Spector
                                         Statistical Computing Facility
                                         Department of Statistics
                                         UC Berkeley
                                         spec...@stat.berkeley.edu

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Jeff Brown wrote:

One option might be to turn the sequence into a character string, and then
use something like grep().  Kind of a kludge, but possibly easy.