At 4:24 PM -0800 4/20/10, chrisli1223 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been searching for answers for the following questions but I don't
have much success. The following questions may actually be quite simple. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

(1) I have written a script which requires user input. I am using the
readline() command.However, everytime when I run the script, R does not wait
for the user input and proceed to the next line. Is there something like
par(ask=T) to solve this problem?

(2) In my script, I want it to stop running when a certain condition is met.
I have tried using the stop() function, but apparently R only stops reading
that line and start reading the following lines. I have also thought about
quit() but it is not quite what I want. May someone please lead me to the
right function please?

Use  if()

## beginning of script

## various R that always run

if ( condition is met) {
  ## here is where we stop
  cat('My condition is met, I am stopping\n')
} else {
  cat('My condition is not met, I am continuing\n')
  ## put here all the commands that should run when the condition is not met
}

(3) When a minor error happens, I would like to get the user permission by
pressing the return key before the script continues to run. What function
should I be looking at?

Use the
  try()
function to control what happens when an error happens

Many thanks,
Chris