Dear all,

i have a problem with processing dataframes within a function using the "$".
Here´s my code:

recode_items = function(dataframe,number,medium=2){

        # this works
        q<-paste("columna",number,sep="")

        # this does not work, particularly because "dataframe" is not processed
        # dataframe should be: givenframe$columnagivennumber
        a=dataframe$q[dataframe$q==medium]=1

        return(a)

}

If I call this function, i´d like it to return my  dataframe.  The problem
appears to be somewhere around the $. I´m sure this not too hard, but somehow i
am stuck. I´ll keep searchin the manuals.
Thx for any help in advance.

best

matt