On 29.04.2010 16:04, Eric Elguero wrote:
On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 15:08 +0200, Uwe Ligges wrote:

Well, it is called cross validation which is based on random sampling if
you do not have k=n -fold CV (=leave-one-out).
Again, to get reproducible results, you will need to set a seed.

thank you. I thought that "leave-one-out" was the default.

As you can see in ?stepclass:

fold    parameter for cross-validation; omitted if ‘cv.groups’ is specified.

and the "Usage" line tells us:

..... fold = 10, ......

hence 10-fold is the default.

I looked at the reference file and I am not sure how to get it.

Is that by setting fold=1 ?

No, leave one out is n-fold, hence you need n!

Uwe Ligges

If the results are that unstable: Do you really have a sufficient number
of observations for your classification problem?

you're probably right.

e.e.

Eric Elguero
Laboratory Genetics and Evolution of Infectious Diseases,
Team: Genetics and Adaptation of Plasmodium
UMR 2724 CNRS-IRD,
IRD Montpellier,
911 Avenue Agropolis, BP 64501,
34394 Montpellier Cedex 5,