Hi:

Here are three solutions; since this question comes up fairly often, you can
find
other solutions in the R-help archives.

(1) Use functions from base R: split the data frame by ID, extract the first
      record from each split and slurp them together with rbind():

> do.call(rbind, lapply(split(df, df$ID), head, 1))
  ID          x
1  1 -0.7736769
2  2 -0.7906979
3  3  0.3889229
4  4 -1.2277544
5  5  0.2820819

(2) Use the plyr package and function ddply():

library(plyr)
> ddply(df, .(ID), head, 1)
  ID          x
1  1 -0.7736769
2  2 -0.7906979
3  3  0.3889229
4  4 -1.2277544
5  5  0.2820819

(3) A third solution using package doBy:

library(doBy)
> df[firstobs(~ ID, data = df), ]
   ID          x
1   1 -0.7736769