Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Note that X and FUN are also arguments to sapply
>
>> args(sapply)
> function (X, FUN, ..., simplify = TRUE, USE.NAMES = TRUE)
> NULL
>
> so the sapply construct in your post has the effect of applying c
> to tmp, pats and strapply so the output you observe is correct.
> The sapply  command never even calls strapply.

        Ah, I see.  I take it this means it is not possible to use sapply
with strapply directly.  (I'd have to write a function that wraps
strapply with different argument names, and then sapply that.)  Anyway,
I managed to do what I wanted by collapsing my multiple regexes into
one, so it's good for now.  Thanks for the help.

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell