test$scores gives you the principal components for princomp

For factanal, you specify eg :
test <- factanal(USArrests,1,scores="regression")
test$scores

see ?factanal

regarding the variance : the "variance" you see is coming from the SS
of variables (which equals the number of loadings) gives you the proportion
var. this is NOT the proportion of the variance of the original data that
gets explained. In the princomp, it doesn't even make sense as the SS
function for the loadings comes from the factor analysis. There the SS
that factor.

Most of this info is available in the help files btw.

Cheers
Joris

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Bunny, lautloscrew.com <
bu...@lautloscrew.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> i wonder if thereĀ“s a command to obtain the actual values of a principal
> component or a factor (not as.factor, but factanal) .
>

> test=princomp(USArrests, cor = TRUE)
> summary(test)
>
> just outputs, standard deviation, Prop of Variance and cumulative
> proportion of variance.
>
> test$loadings offers yet another proportion of variance scheme. why is
> that?
>
> Apart from that: the "variance" you see is calculated from the SS loadings,
> being - if I read it right - the sum of squared loadings.
>
>  Is there a possibily to get the component itself, i mean the linear
> combination that represents it vor each observation ? (Loading_i *
> variable_variable_i)
>
> thx in advance, best regards
>
> matt

Joris Meys