Zach,

The R-gurus will correct me when I'm wrong, but as far as my very limited
experience goes, the 64bit version only gives you an advantage when throwing
around huge datasets or doing very memory-intensive tasks. For most of the
things I do with R, there is no difference at all. Now the difference
between an old x86 and a new quadcore i7, that's another story...

Cheers
Joris