Robert A LaBudde wrote:
At 07:10 AM 5/7/2010, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
Robert A LaBudde wrote:
At 01:40 PM 5/6/2010, Joris Meys wrote:

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Greg Snow <greg.s...@imail.org> wrote:

Because if you use the sample standard deviation then it is a t test not a
z test.

I'm doubting that seriously...

You calculate normalized Z-values by substracting the sample mean and
dividing by the sample sd. So Thomas is correct. It becomes a Z-test since
you compare these normalized Z-values with the Z distribution, instead of
the (more appropriate) T-distribution. The T-distribution is essentially a
Z-distribution that is corrected for the finite sample size. In Asymptopia,
the Z and T distribution are identical.

And it is only in Utopia that any P-value less than 0.01 actually corresponds to reality.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. P-values are simply statistics calculated from the data; why wouldn't they be real if they are small?

Do you truly believe an actual real-life distribution accurately is fit by a normal distribution at quantiles of 0.001, 0.0001 or beyond?

Not often, but I don't see how that is relevant. I would normally conclude that a P-value of 0.01, 0.001, or especially 0.0001 didn't come from the null distribution. My model for the null distribution and the distribution that actually generated the data and the P-value differ by *a lot*, not just a little bit. (This is somewhat obvious with samples that aren't too large. With really large samples, "a lot" may need to be interpreted carefully.)
"The map is not the territory", and just because you can calculate something from a model doesn't mean it's true.

The real world is composed of mixture distributions, not pure ones.

The P-value may be real, but its reality is subordinate to the distributional assumption involved, which always fails at some level. I'm simply asserting that level is in the tails at probabilities of 0.01 or less.

Statisticians, even eminent ones such as yourself and lesser lights such as myself, frequently fail to keep this in mind. We accept such assumptions as "normality", "equal variances", etc., on an "eyeballometric" basis, without any quantitative understanding of what this means about limitations on inference, including P-values.

Inference in statistics is much cruder and more judgmental than we like to portray. We should at least be honest among ourselves about the degree to which our hand-waving assumptions work.

I think I agree with you that I would have a hard time arguing against a test based on a slightly different null distribution, and that test would likely give a P-value quite different from the one I calculated based on my assumption. But my conclusion would be the same: P < 0.0001 means there's likely something wrong with the assumptions in the null distribution.
I remember at the O. J. Simpson trial, the DNA expert asserted that a match would occur only once in 7 billion people. I wondered at the time how you could evaluate such an assertion, given there were less than 7 billion people on earth at the time.

So that's clear evidence that the null model he was using was not the truth. It would have been just as clear if he'd said 1 in a million, or 1 in a trillion.
When I was at a conference on optical disk memories when they were being developed, I heard a talk about validating disk specifications against production. One statement was that the company would also validate the "undetectable error rate" specification of 1 in 10^16 bits. I amusingly asked how they planned to validate the "undetectable" error rate. The response was handwaving and "Just as we do everything else". The audience laughed, and the speaker didn't seem to know what the joke was.

That's not a p-value, that's a probability of an error, which is quite a different thing. There the number does matter, an error of 1 in 10^6 is quite different from an error of 1 in 10^16.

Duncan Murdoch

In both these cases the values were calculable, but that didn't mean that they applied to reality.

Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: r...@lcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.            URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                     Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239            Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causas scire"