Hi:

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Ravi Kulkarni <ravi.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I notice something curious about how aov() treats a numeric factor:
>
> "score" is a dependent variable and "group" is a factor in a one-way ANOVA.
> But "group" contains numeric codes and is not a factor (checked with
> is.factor). An ANOVA done using:
>
> > aov(score~factor(group), data=mydata)
>
> gives the right answers. But
>
> > aov(score~group, data=mydata)
>
> also produces an ANOVA table, with incorrect entries. My question is: what
> exactly is R doing when I did not specify that "group" was a factor?

It's doing simple linear regression, because group is evidently a numeric
variable
in mydata. Type

str(mydata)

to see what you've got. R cannot divine whether you want an ANOVA in this
problem or simple linear regression. In a model with one variable on the RHS
of
the model formula, R will perform regression if it is numeric and ANOVA if
it is
a factor; it is up to you to know the type of variables you are inputting
into a
model. str() is one of the most useful and important functions in R; it
would benefit
you to acquaint yourself with its features.

HTH,
Dennis